We’ve all been there. You’re on an extended trip, with no power outlet, and your mobile device is running out of power. You need a serious blast of energy to avoid battery depletion, but it doesn’t look like there’s any way to get it. A portable charger might do the trick, though, which is where the Cheero Energy Plus 12000mAh external battery comes in to offer some hope.
The Cheero Energy Plus 12000mAh external battery is about the size of an extra-thick iPhone 6. This means you can store it in a coat pocket if you wish, though it’s most convenient to slip it into a purse or backpack. Cheero‘s backup battery does support the iPhone 6, though it’s technically designed for iPhone 3G and 3GS, iPhone 4 and 4S, and the iPhone 5 and 5S. It also has enough juice to charge an iPad or iPad mini.
I tried several devices from the above list during my trial period with the Cheero Energy Plus 12000mAh external battery. In every case, it delivered admirably. The final results were different depending on the device I was charging, but I was definitely pleased with both the device’s form and function.
One important thing to remember is that the Cheero Energy Plus 12000mAh external battery isn’t designed to replace a wall outlet. No portable battery is. Instead, these are designed more for emergency backup power. So, you might take the Cheero Energy Plus 12000mAh on a road trip or on an overnight camping trip in case your mobile device runs out of juice. But they’re not designed to replace a “real” overnight charge.
For context, I charged a fully-drained iPad 2 for four hours using the Cheero Energy Plus 12000mAh. That four-hour period replenished 57% of the iPad 2’s battery. I then plugged the iPad 2 into a wall outlet and replenished the remaining 43% of the battery in 2.5 hours. In other words, the Cheero Energy Plus 12000mAh recharges an iPad 2 about 50% slower than a traditional wall outlet.
Considering that the Cheero Energy Plus 12000mAh outputs power at 1A or 2.1A, that’s not too shabby. Again, it’s also designed as a backup battery, so that performance is just fine. Moving to an iPhone or Android smartphone delivered a slightly faster recharge, a predictable outcome considering those devices aren’t quite as big of an energy hog.
Although the Cheero Energy Plus 12000mAh is a backup battery, you’ll definitely need to monitor its charge over time. For instance, I fully charged the device and then left on a road trip for seven days. I never needed to use the Cheero Energy Plus on my devices, so it sat there in my travel bag unused for a week. When I returned from the trip, it had lost 25% of its charge. While that’s decent power retention, you’ll want to double-check its charge before heading out with the Cheero Energy Plus 12000mAh as your sole backup power source.
If you’re just venturing into the world of backup batteries for your mobile devices, the Cheero Energy Plus 12000mAh is a good choice. Cherro recently released a smaller device that has higher output, and I’m interested to see how it performs. But that newer device shouldn’t be seen as an outright replacement for the Energy Plus, because based on our tests, there’s nothing at all wrong with the Cheero Energy Plus 12000mAh external battery.