The Secret Life of Pets 2 was no secret in the weekend box office results. The animated sequel from Illumination fetched $47.1 million, which was good enough for first place. The Secret Life of Pets 2 leads a soft box office this week with only one other big release making the top five.
Fox’s Dark Phoenix, the final film in their X-Men franchise, was good enough for second place with $33 million. The film was a disappointment to fans and critics, and way underperformed at the weekend box office. Fox was hoping for a $50 million opening, but that did not happen and many expect Dark Phoenix to quickly flame out and go away, probably as Disney, who now owns the property, wanted.
In third place this weekend was Disney’s Aladdin with $24.5 million. The live action remake of the 1992 animated hit continues to bring in cash for the house of mouse, and its success bodes well for July’s Lion King live action remake.
Fourth place belongs to last week’s box office champ, Godzilla: King of the Monsters. His majesty took in another $15.54 million in its second weekend, but the 67% drop between week 1 and week 2 shows that the king is not meant to rule for long.
Rounding out the top five for the weekend of June 7-9 is the Elton John biopic, Rocketman, which crossed the yellow brick road for another $14 million this weekend.
Here are the rest of the weekend box office results fro June 7-9, according to Box Office Mojo.
- The Secret Life of Pets 2 – Universal Pictures – $47,110,000
- Dark Phoenix – 20th Century Fox – $33,000,000
- Aladdin – Disney – $24,500,000
- Godzilla: King of the Monsters – Warner Bros. – $15,540,000
- Rocketman – Paramount Pictures – $14,000,000
- Ma – Universal Pictures – $7,820,000
- John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum – Lionsgate – $7,400,000
- Avengers: Endgame – Disney – $4,800,000
- Pokemon Detective Pikachu – Warner Bros. – $2,980,000
- Booksmart – United Artists – $1,577,259
Next week sees the return of Sony’s Men in Black franchise with MIB: International, starring Chris Hemsworth and Tessa Thompson. It’s a Thor: Ragnarok reunion. Another big release opening next weekend is Shaft, which sees Samuel L. Jackson re-team with Richard Roundtree for another go, this time with John Shaft III (Jessie Usher) along for the ride.
Check back next week for the Weekend Box Office results and see which film comes out on top.